No house is fragile proof. Be it kitchenware, china dishes, glassware, flower vases, breakable electronics, antiques, art, mirrors, wall decor, lamps, musical instruments, etc, the list goes on and on. How much can you do on your own? Here are some tips on ideas for packing fragile items while moving.
- Make a list– Be it grocery shopping or moving household; a list always comes in handy. Make an inventory of all the possibly fragile items that need to be packed carefully. It might seem like a never-ending task but it also helps in eliminating items you won’t need.
- Packing material and supplies– If you are packing on your own then make sure you have everything you need. Again, make a list of packing items you will need to safely secure all the fragile pieces. Some items that you will need are packing papers, cardboard boxes, bubble wraps, and paper tape. You can even use old clothes and newspapers.
- Label– Labeling the boxes will you sort through them with ease, whenever you are ready to unpack. You won’t have to create clutter to search for anything. Just look for the box that has it. It also makes loading and unloading easy as the helpers would take extra care for boxes labeled as fragile.
- Packing the china– Do not pack your expensive china in a clumsy manner. Laying them one on top of other can give rise to friction between them and this might cause permanent damage. Place old clothes or newspapers in between the plates. Use dish boxes only when you start to pack the dishes. These dish boxes are compact and hold the dishes together. They do not offer room for movement which is great.
- Electronics– pack your electronics with care. Create backups of the data from laptop, camera, and phone on to an external device. Use card boxes according to the size of the electronics. Drain the laptop and camera battery to avoid hazards.
- Mirrors– you will have to double wrap pictures and mirrors. Initially pack them using packing paper and then wrap the bubble sheet around it. Secure with tape to hold the packing in place. Label them clearly as fragile pieces.
Ideally, if professional packers and movers are involved they handle the entire packing straight from inventory to mirrors. However, do not worry if you have to do it because the list has you covered.